1. Coker furnace plugged solid – down for 2 weeks
2. Top head opened on live drum – down for 5 weeks and $100 Million loss
3. Operator scalded with hot water – every year
4. Fire on empty drum – down 4 weeks and $50 million loss
5. Coke pit wall fell down – down 2 weeks
6. Hot spots and Blow outs – almost every day (But not always) an environmental and drum life issue.
7. Drum weld cracks – drum life vary 4 to 40 years – cost -$10-20 million/drum
8. Drum skirt cracks (almost 360⁰) – down 1-2 weeks
9. Feed and Vapor line fouling, vibrations and cracks – variable down days and losses
10. Coke drum collapsed – down and millions lost Coking is a highly complex process and issues and difficulties arise routinely. Get Dr. Goyal's help to quickly resolve your time critical or expensive issues.
Root cause of almost all coker incidents is Coke Drum Switching Practice. There are 40-70 small steps to switch one pair of coke drums. Besides sequence of steps, each step has its own time, speed, conditions and interlocks. These are defined by process conditions and material composition inside the coke drum. A slight change or inadvertent action can disturb the material inside the drum and cause incident. Therefore, to understand ‘what goes on inside the coke drum’ during these cycle steps and for consistently safe operation I offer “Coker Operation Focused Training” for coker operators, engineers and managers. New instrumentation to detect and monitor drum cracks and implement implement new technologies to enhance age of your coking drum will be discussed.
Dr. Goyal's experience is wide ranging and he is open for other consulting needs.